Thursday, November 29, 2012

I am HERE...NOW...GRATEFUL!


SO, I am here…BACK and ready to check in!

Similar to M, I have been not feeling myself and this past weekend it all came boiling over.

Last week I had posted that I was struggling, confused and having “doubts”. This was MY WAY of reaching out, crying out and SCREAMING HELP! I was even afraid to admit what I was doubting. I was vague and bland with what I was feeling, which is exactly what had gotten me into such an awful position. I have NEVER been as low as I was this past Friday and really saw no way out…but I am here NOW! I made it and learned from my mistakes.

To be 100% honest with you, I was doubting my plans to get married. Who wants to marry a crazy person like me? How am I supposed to have children with ANXIETY? And these thoughts bounced around my head (normal tactic my anxiety uses to pull me back down), but since this is SUCH a new experience for me I made my first mistake and actually listened to these awful thoughts! I thought it was normal to think this way perhaps and had no clue that it was just my anxiety. So I listened and listened and listened…then started to believe. Then I made my NEXT BIG MISTAKE (THE BIGGEST MISTAKE)…I didn’t speak a word of this to ANYONE!

SILENCE…torture…MORE SILENCE!

How was I supposed to bring this up to my fiancé? Who else would I bring this up to? Who can I ask if this is normal? My mom? NOPE…she would judge me or tell the rest of the family and then THEY would judge me. My dad? NO…he would tell me NOT to get married and to move home. My best friend? NOPE…She will judge me and then questions standing up in the wedding if I decide to get married……(CRAZY)!

These thoughts continued and I believed and I convinced myself I was never deserving of anyone as amazing as my fiancé, I was never going to be able to handle it, something was bound to happen to ruin everything and that I was unlovable, unworthy and would never be ANYONE’S special someone. I believed that I was alone 100% and was destined to be the rest of my life. This went on for three weeks and I spiraled as if I were sliding around a funnel; just waiting to DROP, fall…GIVE UP!

I pushed people away, secluded myself and did not say a word. The other mistake I made was that I stopped all “maintenance” on my anxiety. I was convinced it was gone and I had a control on it. I felt 100% fine and wasn’t experiencing my normal triggers. Truthfully, I was sick and I got lazy! My excuse was “I’m sick” to just about everything. Yoga? Nope, I’m sick. Paint? No, sick. Healthy food? Nah, too sick to cook.

So…along the silent road I was on all hell exploded last Friday! Where was I? BED. I was lying there listening to these awful negative things running through my head torturing myself and sinking to the deepest spot I have ever been in. I had let these thoughts run further into attacking my life and the want and need to continue on.

I was done.

Yes, my head was there. I was completely emptied and vacant of all emotion, all comprehension of right and wrong, all will to move forward and I was DONE. And yes, I attempted because I believed. I attempted to leave my problems, life, loved ones, fiancé, family and everything else. I was angry and done.

In the midst of chaos I broke down, reached out to my fiancé and admitted what I was doing. An inch of mindfulness was thrown in my face…

[Once in my life, years ago, my therapist had given me an outlet of how to get the severe anxiousness and anger OUT. The advice: “throw eggs into the bath tub, break terracotta in a pillowcase in a safe environment…” (that’s all I really remembered).]

So, remembering that advice (the only thought fluttering through my head at the moment) I raced to the kitchen and took out plates and bowls. CRASH, BOOM, BAM, SHATTER, CRASH…!

LIFE SAVING!

So, after “getting those evil thoughts out” (and making a mess) it was almost as if I was woken up just enough to realize what I was doing WAS WRONG! I picked myself up with the little energy I had, went back to bed and passed out.

I woke up the next morning still empty. I hurt all over. I was embarrassed!

I told the people closest to me. I came clean. I let it pour out. Slowly my heart was back to beating again. I was reminded how much I was loved and how stupid I had been. Yes, STUPID! I came clean about the thoughts that had started the entire mess and NO ONE, not even my fiancé, thought that I was crazy. They loved me anyways, supported me anyways and promised to help me through any other questions and doubts that might flutter into my head in the future. How ungrateful am I? UGH!

It is funny because they all knew that it was my anxiety, not ME! ME would not ever think of doing such a thing. NEVER!

UGH!

It is taking A LOT to get this posted and OUT…it brings me to tears to think of what I would have lost. BUT I cannot think of the “what if” and stay in the past because it doesn’t exist any longer. I AM HERE NOW and I need to keep that in front of me and centered.

SO, yes…the person who is trying to take on the world of anxiety was defeated, but I have prevailed. I am still getting back on my feet (with some help of course) one day at a time.

The Happy Light is on every morning, which is my first step. I am cooking again, which is my anxiety-free time and keeps me healthy (my second step). This is where I am now. I have support and it is present everyday. I am UNBELIEVABLY GRATEFUL for my loved ones and for my support and for my LIFE!

I am back on this destination to end anxiety so please have patience with me as I get back on the right path. I promise I will help in due time!

DO NOT make my mistakes. Learn from my mistakes and PLEASE reach out if you EVER have anxiety taking control of you. If you have ANY negative thought please share with SOMEONE, reach out, TELL ME EVEN, but do NOT go at it alone. I’ve told my story in hopes to reach someone, help someone or just educate.

Anxiety is only as powerful as we allow it to be!

…TRUST ME because I know! I have learned, I have grown and I will recover.

Love. Family. Fiancé. Friends. BE GRATEFUL. Always.
C

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! It takes a lot of courage to talk openly about these things.

    I too have made the mistake of keeping silent for too long. It did cost me my marriage. I am glad that you were able to come around to letting it all out (even if there was a mess left in your wake).

    I hope you continue your positive progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron - Thank you for your kind words! I hope that this message leaves you in good health and good spirits! We would love for you to do a guest post on our blog, as we are truly trying to create a community of love and kindness for others to come to and surrender their thoughts. How would you feel about that?

    ReplyDelete