Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Dive Right In

So I'm about to do what we're calling DIVE RIGHT IN and get this darn thing started. Now that everyone has a bit of an idea of what C and I are all about, we really wanted to have a jumping off point for this whole community. You see, I find that the more open I am about my feelings, thoughts, and fears - the more I feel comfortable in my own skin. Let's face it, anxiety does everything in its power to make you feel ANYTHING but comfortable in your own skin, shoes, hair, and even eyeballs...there are days when I question if I even really exist because I feel so transparent and lifeless. It's truly scary to think about so many of us feeling so lost and empty so many of our days. That's why we're here though, right? That's the exact reason you sat at your computer and searched for some care, some relief, some sanity - to put an end to all of these mere shells of people we may or may not have become. It's time we really get a chance to take on the lives that we want to have. I want to start today, right now...not in 10 minutes, not in a few days...RIGHT NOW!

As a way of getting everyone prepped and raring to go we wanted to do a little practice called DIVE RIGHT IN. Basically its going to get everyone, including myself and C warmed up and really feeling comfortable with sharing. I want to be able to show a little more about my personal story and road to this point and get to know where others are coming from as well. C and I plan on bringing a ton of personal experiences, research, and other helpful resources to the table, however one HUGE component of our blog that we want to really be unique is the interactive "family" we want to bring together. I personally, in a nut shell, want to make this place your home. 

Speaking of this being a home and place of comfort, when C and I first started coming together for the idea of Creative Anxiety, a certain song had just come out. And although it may be a bit over played for some people, it really hit home (no pun intended) with me, and made me even more eager to begin this wonderful journey. The first verse of the song "Home" by: Phillip Phillips states -

Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave is stringing us along
Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home.


That's the exact feeling I want to evoke to all of those who encounter Creative Anxiety. Nobody is alone, and although we may feel like we are in unfamiliar territory, we certainly have one another to hold on to until we find ourselves again. SO join me, and DIVE RIGHT IN so we can build this beautiful, beautiful place. 

I want to (and encourage others to as well) talk about some of the stuff that I avoid because of my battle with anxiety. So many times people do things out of the ordinary or avoid situations because they are afraid of having higher levels of anxiety, panic attacks, or other complications that come from dealing with these emotions and "symptoms." Over the years I have had many different avoidance's and many times feel ashamed because in some cases it not only hurts me, but others. The main things I truly avoided in the beginning at all cost were doctor offices, hospitals and anywhere were there were large numbers of people. These things are easily correlated with my personal anxiety as I have huge fears of needles, blood, and am a huge hypochondriac. Simple enough right? Yea....right! Even these avoidance's can cause a huge amount of stress in ones life. When your grandpa is in the hospital and your whole family expects you to go and you either avoid it at altogether or go at the very last moment for as short a visit as possible, you better believe feelings are going to be hurt. Or how about when you put off important check ups to keep yourself from dealing with the overwhelming feeling of doom that comes over you the minute you smell the scent of a doctors office. These things all start to add up...

...Just like my avoidance's. Not only did these particular scenarios begin to shape my life, other everyday interactions became difficult as well. I had an extremely hard time in high school just getting through the day. I would feel sick to my stomach from the minute I woke up, to the time I left the parking lot. This obviously made for a not so peachy high school career. Did I survive? Sure. But was it fun, no! When you feel like your going to have a heart attack at any given moment, no person on earth is going to enjoy even their favorite thing in the world. And now all of these little demons follow me to this day. I have a hard time dealing with unknown situations, or places with a lot of people in them. I can go from zero to sixty just thinking about going to the mall, a weekend workshop, or even a new friends house. Once anxiety follows you into more and more places, the harder it is to hide from it. If you have one single experience where you were uncomfortable or heaven forbid had a panic attack....forget about it - write it off of your list of places you ever want to go again. I have come a long way of overcoming some of these situations and go about my life in a much more able bodied way, but in no means have I conquered all of them - nor can I say I don't have my hiccups. This is why we are here though, to relate, to debate, and to relearn how to embrace life with fresh eyes and new attitudes. I want to be able to go anywhere and everywhere and soak up all that I can from my experiences instead of worrying my way through them, sometimes not even remembering what I did, said, heard, or felt because I was too damn busy being in my own head. 

So my question to you now is, what are your fears and avoidance's? What would YOU love to overcome and change about your way of life and thinking? 

There is SO much more to my back story and SO many positive changes and revelations coming in the near future, and naturally we will unveil more and more...but for now I think you can get a decent grasp on where I'm coming from and where I hope to be. 

So come on everyone. Bare it all! I promise, it will be worth it! 


-M

No comments:

Post a Comment