Friday, October 19, 2012

STRETCH. BEND. Controlled Breathing: How Yoga Changed my Life


SO…if you haven’t tried yoga, if you think you aren’t “flexible” or if you think it’s not for you…YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY IT!

Put your ego aside for a second and step into a studio or get a DVD and try it at home! Yoga has been the best thing I have found to help with my anxiety and I will forever be a yogi. It isn’t about how GOOD you can bend, whether or not you can touch your toes or who is looking at you! It is holding a difficult pose and then coming out of it and thinking, “wow, I did it”. Yoga is trying a pose even if you don’t think you can maneuver your body in such a way, it is controlling your breath and accomplishing a state of total CALM (if you fall, you fall…just get back up). Yoga is lying down at the end of class and saying “holy shit I made it!”. After a while these positive outcomes and thoughts follow you into your normal daily life.

With anxiety your brain talks TOO MUCH! It tells you what you can’t do, what you shouldn’t do, how awful you will feel or how you will fail at something new.  Yoga goes against all of those silly little thoughts that flutter your head all day. Yoga is about the NOW and how you feel as you flow from pose to pose. Your anxiety lives in the past and in the future, what kind of life is that? I walk into my yoga studio and leave my brain outside the door and focus on ME. And, yes, my brain does sneak in and tell me how awful I am doing once or twice during a yoga class, but I reverse each thought and find something positive that I have improved on in my practice (YOU ALWAYS IMPROVE ON SOMETHING)! I’ve continued to practice yoga; positive affirmations and breath training have followed me into my everyday life helping me manage my anxiety.

I encourage any anxiety sufferer, WHOLE HEAREDLY, to at least try yoga and see how you feel afterwards. I promise you will feel the benefits.

Yoga has changed my life and helped my anxiety so tremendously that I decided to learn as much as I can about it and sign up to become a certified yoga instructor. CRAZY right? At first I signed up thinking I would learn SO much that my anxiety would somehow disappear and I would gain a new talent. It ended up being so much more than that.

I believe that yoga teacher training ignited this want and need inside of me to help others find their way to CALM. And this is a great start! I am so very thankful to myself, for signing up, but also incredibly thankful to my instructor, Adrienne Hengels! She taught me how to not use my anxiety as a crutch, but as a bounding point. And here I am now and will be doing LOTS more in the future.

Yoga is aligning the mind, the body and the spirit. In balancing your entire self your anxiety has not a lot of room to rattle around and cause you to feel uneasy. Sounds wonderful really! So why not do that for yourself?

I am currently doing the research into the poses that benefit anxiety directly, can calm you in a time of distress and can be a sort of balancer for when you might feel a little out of whack. I will eventually be posting some poses that you all can try. And when they start helping you, pass it on and help someone else! “Spread the love”!

So I sincerely encourage anyone and everyone, especially anxiety sufferers, to try a little yoga. If you are in the Midwest area come out and check out Power of your Om studio (www.powerofyourom.com). Stop in and take a class and let me know how you feel afterwards. Comment and let us know or send us a private email. If you need a little motivation, email me and I will help you or recommend a DVD you can try at home. I am here to help you experience something new that COULD help! That’s it. Simple.

Check it out. Let us know what you think. Don’t forget to smile through it.

Peace. Love. Sincerity.
C

No comments:

Post a Comment