Monday, October 22, 2012

Meditation: Finding YOUR OWN Meditation and What Works For YOU


We all have our views on meditation, right? Some think it’s laying in a “zened-out” room, on a mat, with incense burning, calm instrumental music playing in the background and no distractions. I should say that MOST of the general population think that this is the only way they can find any sort of calm or experience the benefits of meditating. I am here to give you A LOT more options that you can fit into you daily lives to reduce your anxiety. Once you get the hang of it and find a style of meditating that works for you all the benefits will start flowing and you will feel SO GOOD!

Before yoga I have NEVER experienced meditation and always thought “who the hell has that much time to lay still, I do that when I’m sleeping”! I was SO WRONG! The point of meditating is SHUTTING OFF YOUR BRAIN. A lot of us anxiety sufferers can’t do that, even when we sleep. There is no point in the day that my brain rests, I have to consciously shut it off and the only way that is accomplished (for me) is meditating. There are a lot of different ways you can meditate so there is no excuse for not getting your daily meditation in.

For those of you who like FACTS (like me), meditation is scientifically proven to benefit you and your physical, mental and spiritual health. Here are a few facts…

Meditation…
-       Decreases respiratory rate
-       Increases blood flow and slows heart rate
-       Lowers levels of blood lactate that have direct links to anxiety
-       Enhances the immune system
-       Enhances energy
-       Improved flow of air to the lungs
-       Asthma relief
-       Relaxes your nervous system
-       Helps weight loss
-       Increases serotonin levels
-       Resolve phobias and fears
-       Increases brain wave coherence
-       Increased emotional stability
-       Opens communication between both brain hemispheres
-       Decrease in restless thinking
-       Builds tolerance
-       Body, mind and spirit are balanced
-       Attain enlightenment
-       Helps you experience life in the present
-       Harmonizes your endocrine system

…there ya go! I have only listed 20 benefits, but there are hundreds, even THOUSANDS of more benefits. Look it up! You will be shocked! Meditation looks a little more appealing now, doesn’t it?

I can tell you how I meditate and it might help you incorporate your own meditation practice. I have a few favorite meditation practices, but my daily meditation is done while I’m….WALKING! Yep, you read it correctly…WALKING! I have a dog who I take out and walk every day when I get home from work. It is something that I have to do daily which now forces me to meditate. A dog lives a simple life and is always living in the NOW. My lovely dog is anxiety free and is experiencing her WHOLE LIFE as opposed to always thinking about the past or the future, which is the root of all anxiety. When we walk I start with deep breathing through my nose as soon as we head outside. I notice the ground (ex: wet, dry, leaves, grass, color, smell), then focus on what is in front of me (ex: trees, houses, plants, bushes, people), then listen to my feet, focus on my pace, and then focus back on my breathing. During this time I let nothing else run through my head except for what I see, smell or hear. When something pops into my head I simply take another deep breath and look at what is around me. I feel refreshed, at peace and rested when I’m done and it is amazing. It is a wonderful break to a day full of worrisome thoughts and anxious jitters.

I am simply mimicking my dog, in all honesty. I am smelling, listening and looking at what is around me and experiencing it for what it is in that moment. With anxiety, you rarely are experiencing the NOW, you are always in the past or creating a story of the future that doesn’t exist yet.

If you don’t have a dog, it’s okay, just go for a walk. Simple. Walk around your block, your neighborhood or even your yard and try this little walking meditation. Consciously turn off your head for 10 minutes and give yourself a break. The more and more you meditate, the more your brain will crave the feeling of CALM. It will become more and more easy for you to find your place of calm in a moment of distress when you regularly practice meditation. I promise!

Two of my other favorite meditation styles are Focused Meditation and a type of Mindful/Grounding Meditation. With Focused Meditation I like to sit or lay down and focus on one thing such as a tree. Everything about that tree I look at, examine and try to experience (ex: the color of the bark and leaves, the wind swirling through the branches, the water it drinks from the ground, the sunlight that bounces around the leaves). You can find something simple to focus on, like a tree, and use this as your meditation. I sometimes use this when I am at work and I have 10 minutes to myself. With the Mindful/Grounding Meditation I take my shoes off when I am outside and place my feet on some EARTH. Grass is my favorite, of course, but dirt doesn’t bother me either. I will place my bare feet on the ground and breath in as if I am breathing from my feet. If you have never tried this PLEASE try it at least once. The energy you receive from the earth is so balancing and amazing for anxiety.

Both of these meditations I LOVE, but do take time out of my daily flow so I incorporate them once in a while. My walking meditation is a daily exercise I do for my brain and for my anxiety. My dog can even sense when I am meditating and she becomes calm as well, doesn’t pull her leash or try to run after another animal. Just try it and let us know what you think. There will be a little meditation challenge coming up here soon that I cannot wait for.

So, all I ask of anyone is to try it ONCE! If you are needing a little assistance then just send me a private email and I would love to help you. Give your brain a chance to relax and take a break from ANXIETY. Do it for your health, your mind, your spirit and your body!

Let us know how you feel…! It will help!!!

Off to meditate. Peace. Love.
C

No comments:

Post a Comment